Tuesday, May 18, 2010

West Hollywood - Miracle Mile

안녕하세요?


(find the fish)

Today was my Korean class at the 한국 문화원(Korean Cultural Center) on Wilshire/Dunsmuir. I only had to take the Dash-Fairfax to get there, a heavenly treat compared to most bus ride adventures. So far in my time in LA, the Dash has only taken me 2 places: Whole Foods, and Korean Class..This is perhaps why I have a bit of a bias towards it. Plus it's only 25¢, and my pocket ain't complaining about that!

I remember a time, long long ago...April. O! That glorious month in which I owned a Metro monthly bus pass. The beautiful times I spent leisurely riding bus to bus, not stopping for cash back, and not heckling neighbours for change... Perhaps life will be like that once again, I believe in a world where all of the children have bus passes. Where ice cream is bought for $1.25 instead. Where is my dream??

I still keep the thing around, for nostalgic purposes.


You know what else I really like about the Dash? There's always a lot of really cool old people on it.

Today I saw:
1. The Hat King - This old guy had 2 straw hats on, those really cool Jamaican looking ones. I mean it's cool enough that he was wearing 1 straw hat, but to throw another up there was not only bold, it was genius!

2. Mustache Master - Dude had a mustache to his knees, need I say more? I think he was about 80.

3. Louie and Isabella - These two weren't on this particular trip, I saw them about a week ago, on the same route. Louie was dressed to the nines in a full on 1930's gangster suit, with gold coming out of his ears and a fedora that meant business. He could hardly stand and I'm pretty sure if he said more than 2 words he would have keeled over, poor thing.. But he was one cool cat! He has with him a beautiful younger woman (she was still quite old, but compared to him, just a babe) A Spanish beauty, with long braided hair and bright red lips. She was wearing a long black dress with fringe and a pair of black boots that put me to shame. She very carefully led him onto the bus and sat with him. Another old man next to him helped him sit as well, keeping is hand on his back for the entire length of his ride... Who is this mysterious man I thought, what kind of power does he possess? And why is he riding the Dash bus? I really enjoyed watching them, I wished they had stayed on longer, and I still think about what their lives are like.

People are so interesting sometimes, don't you think?

I got another ride home, so no 212 to the 14 for me.. At least not tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment